JOINT SUMMER PROGRAM
Indonesian Traditional and Modern Batik Workshop
2017 – Universitas Mercu Buana in cooperation with University of Indonesia
About The Program
The workshop presents a rare opportunity for aspiring fashion designers to learn about the uniquely rich tradition of Indonesian batik, its traditional and modern manufacturing techniques and design philosophy. Participating students will learn the theoretical background of Indonesian batik and gain hands-on experience in the design and manufacturing of batik fabrics.
The program provides a certificate about the accomplishment of 3 academic credits which can be transferred to ongoing degree programs of the participants in their respective home universities
About The Host Institutions
Universitas Mercu Buana (UMB) is one of the top ranking private university in Jakarta. Since its establishment in 1985 it has become one of the most sought after universities engaged in teaching, research and community service. UMB is currently home to over 30.000 students studying at 6 faculties at one of the institution’s three state of art campuses.
University of Indonesia (UI) is the oldest and most prestigious state university of Indonesia which is considered number 1 in terms of world ranking, research engagement and graduate employment statistics. It is also one of the biggest universities of Indonesia with its 16 faculties which host some of the leading scholars of the country. UI’s excellent facilities, teaching staff and the highest standards of education ensure that every (short or long term) student visiting University of Indonesia is in good hands.
How to Apply
The program is available for undergaduate and graduate students of art and design, especially: Fashion Design, Textile Design, Fashion Illustrator, Fashion Marketing, Fine Arts, Product Design.
Online application: https://international.mercubuana.ac.id/jsp
- Letter of recommendation from the home institution (faculty)
- Scan of passport (identity page)
Deadline of application: August 16th, 2017
Batik Komar Workshop
Batik Komar Workshop is a prestigious institution in the world of Indonesian batik dedicated to preserving the Cirebon style batik tradition through manufacturing high quality fabrics, enriching the vocabulary of design motives from within the tradtion, providing courses and workshops to educate Indonesian and foreign artists about the art of Cirebon style batik.
- Types of batik in Indonesia
- History of batik in the world and Indonesia
- Philosophy behind the batik patterns used in Indonesia
- Fashion and textile photography
- Manufacturing techniques
- Principles of batik design
- Undergraduate students from one of the following fields of studies: Fashion Design, Textile Design, Fashion Illustrator, Fashion Marketing, Fine Arts, product Design or any Art and Design Student.
- Able to communicate in English (proven by any English Proficiency Test).
|Day 1||August 20, 2017||Participants’ arrival, dormitory check in|
|Day 2||August 21, 2017||Project introduction lectures|
|Day 3||August 22, 2017||Lectures at University of Indonesia, canting batik practice|
|Day 4||August 23, 2017||Visit to Batik Komar workshop in Bandung, West Java|
|Day 5||August 24, 2017||Photography class (in Bandung, West Java)|
|Day 6||August 25, 2017||The theory and practice of Shibori batik, individual/group design work|
|Day 7||August 26, 2017||Presentation/exhibition of the students’ works|
|Day 8||August 27, 2017||Free time*|
|Day 9||August 28, 2017||Check out, airport transfer|
*Participants may choose to return to their home countries on this day, airport transfer is available
Fees / Scholarships
The program is supported by Indonesia’s Ministry of Research, Technology & Higher Education which allows the organizers to offer fee exemption for (a limited number of) students of the partner institutions of Universitas Mercu Buana and the University of Indonesia.
- Program fee: 0 USD* / 100 USD – includes: airport pick up/drop off, transportation within Indonesia, lectures, workshops
- Accommodation fee: 100 USD includes accommodation for 8 nights (Jakarta and Kampung Naga)
- The fees above exclude: airfare and personal expenses
* a limited number of scholarships are available on a first come first serve bases
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +6221-584-0816 (extention: 3902)